My usual suggestion on any ukulele repair is to take it to a respected luthier rather than attempt a repair yourself that could further damage your uke.
....But I personally like the challenge of these kind of repairs. From my research, I found this to be a very common occurrence and thankfully, I found some information about how to go about repairing this kind of top separation.
But to do a repair correctly, you need the right tools. Most of what I read told me that I needed some spool clamps, which can get a bit pricey. As I looked at the construction of spool clamps I thought, "I can make those myself for way less money". So I set out to make some spool clamps. Here's how I did it....
- Carriage Bolts (1/4" x 6")
- Fender Washers (5/16" x 1-5/8")
- 1/4" Wing Nuts
- 1x4 board (a grabbed a piece out of the value pile)
- circle drill attachment (these come in a multi pack with different sizes - I already had some of these)
- sticky back felt
Total Cost = $8.67 - This is enough to make 5 spool clamps.
As already noted, I grabbed a 1x4 out of the value wood pile at the hardware store. I selected the circle drill attachment that most closely sized up to the washers.
These will cut out a little rough around the edges, so you'll have to do a little clean up.
I cleaned up and smoothed the edges with a wood rasp and some sand paper.
There are other materials that could be used for this....foam comes to mind. Cork would probably work as well.
For me, it was sticky back felt. It's just what I had on hand. It worked out nicely though.
In this post, I show ya how I used these diy spool clamps to repair my Favilla ukulele.
Hope this helps!