Friday, March 8, 2013

Bob Marley - One Cup of Coffee ukulele chords


One of my favorite Bob Marley songs!  It transfers quite nicely to the ukulele.  For those of you that aren't very familiar with ska strumming, I'm hoping to do a video tutorial one of these days with some ska
techniques for the ukulele.  There doesn't seem to be a good guide on Youtube for this type of playing.  But until I stop being lazy, just remember that the basic idea is you mute the strings on the down stroke and press down on the strings on the upstroke.  I also want to mention that with this style of music, open strings are usually a "no no".  All the chords I'm playing are the barred version, as I've diagrammed below.  I've also added in a Cm, which the original piece doesn't call for, so feel free to take that out if you wish.  Also, if you want to get fancy, you can slide some of the chords from the half step below up to the chord on some of the upbeats (I do this a lot for the G chord - slide from F# up to G on some of the upstrokes).  Here's the chords for this classic tune....

G chord - 4232
G7 chord - 4532
D chord - 2225
D7 chord - 2223
C chord - 5433
Cm chord - 5333


Intro: G, D7

G
One cup of coffee, then I'll go
.........................................................D
Though I just dropped by to let you know
...............G.................G7
That I'm leavin' you tomorrow
.....C...............................Cm........G
I'll cause you no more sorrow
.....................D....................G...........D7
One cup of coffee and I'll go
...................G
I got the money like the lawyer said to do
...............................................................................D
But it won't replace the heartaches I've caused you
...................G..........................G7..............C........Cm
It won't replace the cost of lovin' you, I know
...................G............D....................G......G7......C
That it's one cup of coffee and I'll go

Tell the kids I came last night
............G........................................G7.....C
And kissed them while they slept

Make my coffee sweet and warm
D..............................................D7
Just like the way you used to lie in my arms


....from here on it just repeats with the verse.  Hope this helps ya out!


1 comment: